Posts Tagged ‘Application for Employment Authorization’

As a green card holder, you can apply for government sponsored financial aid for educational purposes. You can pay less tuition fee in universities and colleges. This is also known as “in-state” tuition or “resident” tuition. Savings in most cases are three to four times lower than what foreigners pay. Additionally, as a green card holder, you are permitted to work in any company located in U.S. territory regardless of job function, hours/week, etc. except for some companies that only hire U.S. citizens. And you need not worry about employer sponsorship either. Some jobs require security clearance that only green card holders and U.S. citizens can get. Therefore, a green card provides more job opportunities.

Green card holders have the permission to start their own business and create own corporation. Social security is another benefit you will get when you retire, ie if you had worked for 10 years (40 quarters to be precise) before your retirement. Also, you can sponsor your spouse and unmarried minor children under 21 for them to get permanent resident status in the United States. In this case, the green card that you got for your family will still be valid even if you lose your job or pass away.

If you have a work permit, your spouse and minor unmarried children under 21 can stay in the U.S. as dependents. Even if you have a US work permit, your kids have to get student visas to study and work visas to work. But, once they get a green card, they are allowed to stay in the U.S. even after turning 21 and even if they get married.

Another feature is that you will have access to security clearances. You will also be eligible for government grants and be exempted from export restrictions. You have the privilege of most legal rights under U.S. law, except for voting right which is only for U.S. citizens. You will be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship at a later stage, once you fulfill the eligibility requirements needed while applying for citizenship. It is not mandatory that you take U.S. Citizenship. You can be a green card holder forever. If your current country allows dual citizenship,you can get U.S. citizenship without giving up your current nationality.


Read Full Post »

There are quite a few ways to get a green card. You can get one through marriage. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative should be filed by a US citizen or US lawful permanent resident to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States.

Green card application procedure :

The I-130 process is just the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Once the application has been approved and processed, you will be notified by mail.
Individuals who want to get permanent resident status (the applicant) should file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If the spouse/child reside abroad, the person adjusting status in the United States should file Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, along with the principle’s Form I-485 to allow the derivatives to immigrate to the United States without delay if the principle’s Form I-485 is approved.

If you are a U.S. citizen and your spouse is at present in the United States, your spouse can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status at the same time as you file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.Application I-485 (Adjustment of Status) asks for proof that your entry to the US was legal. So provide a copy of the I-94 “Arrival and Departure Record” that was stapled to your passport at the time of the your entry into the US.

Additionally, you will need two copies of Form G-325A, Biographic Information. Here you and your spouse have to each fill out one of the Biographic Information Forms .
While bringing your relative to live permanently in the United States, you must accept the responsibility for financially supporting this family member. To do so legally, you need to complete and sign a document called an affidavit of support. Form I-864 is used in such case and primarily used as a written obligation from the US sponsor to support the alien .
When you are filing for adjustment of status to a permanent resident status, you should also submit Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens and that has to be completed by a designated civil surgeon. This examination establishes that you are not inadmissible to the United States on public health grounds.

You may also submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if you want to work when your application is being processed.

While in the US as a as a green card holder or conditional resident, you may apply for a reentry permit. A reentry permit allows a permanent or conditional resident to apply for admission to the U.S. during the permit’s validity without having to get a returning resident visa from an American Consulate. A re-entry permit is not required if the trip is less than one year duration.

Two years after the adjustments of status interview, along with your spouse, you have to file a joint application form I-751 to remove Conditions. This application should be signed by both parties. Once the I-751 application is filed and approved, the conditions will be lifted and the alien spouse will become a permanent resident ( green card holder )without conditions.

Read Full Post »