Posts Tagged ‘application’


The U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is the official government agency that manages the entire immigration process in the United States.

Immigration forms are either filed at the American Consulate outside the US or with the USCIS (formerly the INS) if the applicant is in the US. USCIS has the applications/petitions on the their website and there are many other private organisations in this field who have these forms available on their website and they do charge a fee for assisting their users preparing and filing the forms. At times, the assistance of lawyers are sought to fill the forms that can be sophisticated. The USCIS is the authority that processes these applications/petitions in the US.

The application process :

Once you mail/efile the completed application to the USCIS with the appropriate fee and supporting documents, the USCIS will send an Application Receipt Notice that will have a 13-character Application Receipt number. It would take around 30 days from the date you filed to receive this notification. This number will normally start with EAC, WAC, LIN, or SRC. This number is the proof that the USCIS received your application and that it is being processed. You can monitor the progress of your application with the receipt number..

To check the status, you can visit the USCIS’s website, http://www.uscis.gov and select the link that says “Case Status Online.” You will be required to enter the application receipt number. If you haven’t received your receipt number, you can find out how long USCIS takes to process different applications by clicking “Processing Times” that is listed on the USCIS “Case Status Online” page. Processing times differ according to the type of application you filed and the location of the Application Service Center (ASC) where you filed your application. In case you did not receive any notification from the USCIS even after thirty days of having submitted your application, you can contact them at their toll-free telephone line and talk to their representatives who will provide you with the necessary guidance.

There is also an option where you can receive a text message notification to your US mobile phone number as and when a case status update happens.


Read Full Post »