Posts Tagged ‘F1 Visa’

M-1 and F-1 are two categories through which a foreign student can get a student visa to study in the United States.

A non immigrant is one who is admitted to the U.S. temporarily for a specific purpose. Students from abroad who wish to come to the United States are generally admitted in one of these two visa categories. The F1 visa category is for academic students in colleges, universities, seminaries, other academic institutions, and in language training. Whereas the M-1 category includes vocational students.

Student visa application :

To start the process, you should first apply to study at a USCIS-approved school in the United States. When you contact a school where you want to study, you should be informed if the school accepts foreign national students. If they accept, the school will give you USCIS Form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Non immigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students). If you need a student visa, you should take the USCIS Form I-20 to the nearest U.S. consulate to obtain a student visa. You should bring the USCIS Form I-20 from the school where you would like to study for visa processing at the U.S. consulate. Additionally, you should prove to the consulate that you have the required financial resources.

Once you arrive in the United States, you will receive a Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) that will have your admission number to the United States. An Immigration official will write this admission number on your USCIS Form I-20 A-B/ ID. Then the official will send the first and second pages of this form, known as I-20 A-B, to your school as a proof of your legal admission to the United States. You need to keep the third and fourth page of the form, known as the I-20 ID. This record is the proof of your admission to the United States in the F1 visa category. You should also keep your Form I-94, as it acts as a proof of your legal entry to the United States.

Embassies and Consulates will issue a US student visa 120 days or less, prior to the registration date of the study course. If you apply for your visa 120 days or more before your start date or registration date as provided on the Form I-20, the Embassy or Consulate will hold your visa application until it is able to issue the US student visa. All students can enter the US 30 days or less prior to the date of study course mentioned in Form I-20. After you enter the US, you can stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F1 visa in your passport expires. Issuance of visas will not be guaranteed. So it is advised not make any travel plans until a US student visa has been issued.

When you enter the US on a student visa, you will normally be admitted for the duration of your student status. It simply means that you can stay in the US as long as you are a full time student, even if your F1 visa expires while you are in the US. If you are a student who completed the course of studies shown on the I-20, and any authorized practical training, you are allowed an additional 60 days, to prepare for departure from the U.S. or to transfer to another school.


Read Full Post »