Posts Tagged ‘Fiancé(e) Visa’

Having a green card is a proof of being officially granted immigration benefits to live and work in the United States legally.There are quite a few ways through which you can get a green card.

A family member who is a US citizen or permanent resident can sponsor you for a green card. Else, you can also get one through the Diversity Visa lottery program that is held every year. You can also get a green card through employment. Here a qualified US employer needs to sponsor you. A person granted Refugee Status or Asylum may also apply for a green card.
A K-1 visa is a non immigrant visa issued to the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States. Once the foreign fiancé(e) receives the Fiancé(e) Visa, they must marry their US citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry into the United States, or leave the US.  Once the couple marries , the foreign citizen can adjust status to receive their Green card
Like there are many ways to get a green card, the process and procedures vary too.
After you enter the US as a visa holder, you can adjust your status to a green card holder (permanent resident) subject to conditions for certain visa holders.

You can get a green card either while you are in the US or outside the US.  When you get a green card while physically being present in the US, the process is called adjustment of status.   Whereas when you get one while being outside the US or when you are ineligible to adjust status, it is called Consular processing.


Read Full Post »