Posts Tagged ‘Form I-130’

There are quite a few ways to get a green card. You can get one through marriage. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative should be filed by a US citizen or US lawful permanent resident to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States.

Green card application procedure :

The I-130 process is just the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Once the application has been approved and processed, you will be notified by mail.
Individuals who want to get permanent resident status (the applicant) should file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If the spouse/child reside abroad, the person adjusting status in the United States should file Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, along with the principle’s Form I-485 to allow the derivatives to immigrate to the United States without delay if the principle’s Form I-485 is approved.

If you are a U.S. citizen and your spouse is at present in the United States, your spouse can file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status at the same time as you file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.Application I-485 (Adjustment of Status) asks for proof that your entry to the US was legal. So provide a copy of the I-94 “Arrival and Departure Record” that was stapled to your passport at the time of the your entry into the US.

Additionally, you will need two copies of Form G-325A, Biographic Information. Here you and your spouse have to each fill out one of the Biographic Information Forms .
While bringing your relative to live permanently in the United States, you must accept the responsibility for financially supporting this family member. To do so legally, you need to complete and sign a document called an affidavit of support. Form I-864 is used in such case and primarily used as a written obligation from the US sponsor to support the alien .
When you are filing for adjustment of status to a permanent resident status, you should also submit Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens and that has to be completed by a designated civil surgeon. This examination establishes that you are not inadmissible to the United States on public health grounds.

You may also submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if you want to work when your application is being processed.

While in the US as a as a green card holder or conditional resident, you may apply for a reentry permit. A reentry permit allows a permanent or conditional resident to apply for admission to the U.S. during the permit’s validity without having to get a returning resident visa from an American Consulate. A re-entry permit is not required if the trip is less than one year duration.

Two years after the adjustments of status interview, along with your spouse, you have to file a joint application form I-751 to remove Conditions. This application should be signed by both parties. Once the I-751 application is filed and approved, the conditions will be lifted and the alien spouse will become a permanent resident ( green card holder )without conditions.


Read Full Post »