Posts Tagged ‘replace citizenship certificate’

After you apply for US citizenship, you will be issued a citizenship certificate. In case you lose this certificate, you can get a replacement by filing Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization or Citizenship Document with the USCIS.

Per the USCIS, you should file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization or Citizenship Document, if you have been issued a Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration of Intention or Repatriation Certificate which has been lost, mutilated, or destroyed. Form N-565 is also filed if your name has been changed by marriage or by court order after the citizenship document was issued and you need a document in the new name. But note that you should NOT file Form N-565 to correct errors on the citizenship certificate unless they are USCIS errors.

The application process :

To get a replacement of your citizenship certificate, you should fill and mail the completed N-565 application package to the USCIS along with the appropriate submission fees and supporting documents (if any). All the information about the submission fees, mailing address and supporting documents can be found in the instructions page. If you make any mistake in the submission fee or sent it to the wrong mailing address, your application will be sent back to you.

Apart from the application, you should submit two color photographs of yourself and the supporting documents. The photograph should be taken within 30 days of filing your application. If you are filing Form N-565 to get a replacement of a mutilated document, you have to attach the mutilated document and send it along with your application. If any of your supporting documents is in a foreign language, it has to be accompanied by a full English language translation where the translator has certified it as complete and accurate.

After you send the application to the USCIS, they will check for completeness, including submission of the required initial evidence and the correct submission fee. In case you do not fill out the form completely, or sent the application without the appropriate initial evidence, you will not establish a basis for eligibility and chances are that, the USCIS may return your application. Additionally, if your application is not signed or not accompanied by the correct fee, the USCIS will reject it with a notice that the application is deficient. So always ensure that your application is complete and also that you submit the needed supporting documents along with the correct submission fee.

Once you have filed your application with the USCIS, you will receive an Application Receipt Notice with a 13-character Application Receipt number within 30 days of having filed. This is the proof that USCIS has received your N-565 application. You can use the 13- digit number on the notice to check the status of your application. Additionally, the USCIS might request more information or evidence when you appear at their office for an interview and may also request you to submit the originals of supporting documents. Finally, if the USCIS find you eligible for the document, your application will be approved and the new document will be issued. In case your application is denied, the USCIS will notify in writing detailing the reasons for the denial. The whole process on an average takes up to six months.



Read Full Post »