Posts Tagged ‘work visas’

One of the most commonly used non immigrant visas is the B visa. Through this visa classification, you can come to the United States for business (B-1) or pleasure (B-2). As a visa holder in this classification, you are not allowed to study or work within the US.

Student Visas

There are two types of student visas, F-1 and M1. The F-1 visa is for students attending a full-time degree or academic program at a school, college, or university approved by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement in compliance with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, also known as SEVIS. The M-1 visa is for students who are enrolled in non-academic or “vocational study”. Mechanical study, technical study, cooking classes, a language program, flight school or cosmetology program are a few examples that fall under “vocational study.”

Work Visas

You can become eligible for a E-1 Treaty Trader visa, if your country of citizenship has a treaty of friendship, commerce, or navigation with the US and if you are coming to the US to engage in substantial trade between the US and your country.

If your country has a bilateral investment treaty or agreement with the US and if you are coming to the US to direct and develop the operations of an enterprise in which you have invested or are in the process of investing, you may qualify for a E-2 Treaty Investor visa .

If you qualify for specialty occupations and are coming to the US to work in such occupations, you may get a H-1B visa. Foreign companies who already have or wish to establish US offices may have to transfer executive, managerial, or specialized persons to the U.S. Through the L-1 Visa, employees can be posted temporarily at the US parent, subsidiary, affiliate, or branch office.

If you can demonstrate extraordinary ability in science, arts, education, business, or athletics, and are coming temporarily to the US to work in your area of extraordinary ability, you may well qualify under the O-1 visa classification.

The TN visa classification is reserved for citizens of Canada and Mexico who qualify for a work-authorized visa under NAFTA. NAFTA is an international trade agreement between the US, Canada, and Mexico.

If you have either a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution overseas and at least one year of related work experience outside the US, you may qualify as a J-1 trainee. Even if you do not have a degree, you may still qualify if you have five years of related work experience acquired outside the US.

Family Visas

The K-1 Visa category provides an alternative to the marriage-based visa process for individuals who are engaged to be married. The V-1/V-2 visa classification authorizes spouses and children of Lawful Permanent Residents ( green card holders ) to enter the US without waiting for an immigrant visa number to become available.


Read Full Post »